Skip to main content

iPad...size matters

So, 10 days since getting my iPad 64GB/3G and what of it?

Well the only previous Apple product I own is an iPod 3rd gen - it's battered and bruised and not been touched for about 18 months now but I'm sure it will fire up just fine if I tried it.

I've never had an iPhone and barely played with one - 18 months ago when I decided I wanted one Orange talked me out of it with an amazing airtime deal (going from 120 to 1200 minutes a month for £4 less) combined with an HTC Diamond windows mobile device.

Based on my experience with the HTC - I've been very very very disappointed with it - the touch screen and gesture recognition are very poor and it's unbearably frustrating using it...so when the jumbo iPhone - the iPad was announced I was thinking that this might finally be the start of my Apple journey...why though?

Well I read quite a lot of books so iBooks looked useful
A lot of technical info is available in PDF format so portable reading is a winner
Read a lot of blogs
Love the tablet concept
As an Apple product know the support for it (apps) will be phenomenal

So I bought one and how does it rate?
A W E S O M E - it just works. The size is perfect for reading/viewing websites, iBooks is quality and so simple but effective. I searched for, bought, downloaded and was reading the first page of a book in under 90 seconds (this was via 3G on the train to London). 3G connection is from 3 on their 10GB for £15/month deal.

Highlights
iBooks obviously...although I believe the publisher Random House is missing from the store I think they will wise up eventually
iPlayer - not so good over 3G unless it's a very good connection, ditto TVCatchup but superb on wifi
Reeder - a great RSS reader

Stuff I've installed
Dropbox
Skype
Todo
Corkulous
iTap RDP
BBC iPlayer (safari web link)
TVCatchup (safari web link)
Google Reader (safari web link)
Teamviewer
TakeNotes
Evernote
BlogPress
iBooks
National Rail Enquiries
Calculator HD
Wikipanion
AccuWeather
eBay
Google Mobile
Drawing Pad
Rightmove
Google Earth
Dictionary
Night Stand HD
GoodReader
Reeder
FlightPath HD (game)
Iambeatbox (game)

In summary - it's an amazing device, obviously more so for an Apple newbie like me (iPhone owning friends tend to say where is the wow/nothing new...but after a few minutes of browsing on it are bowled over)

For a commuter like me 3G is essential..without it the device would not appeal anywhere near as much. The 3G coverage is pretty good apart from a couple of small dropout areas and this always connected nature is such an important aspect of this device for me...I no longer have to make mental notes to remember to look something up when I am connected again. Another great aspect of the device is that it's ready to go instantly, no waiting to boot. Battery life...excellent at the quoted 10 hours moderate use...much longer just on standby I reckon but I've not left it long enough to find out! My recommendation, certainly for a commuter is get the 3G enabled version...I've hardly scratched my 10GB monthly limit yet and reckon I would have been fine with a 3GB package.

Thankfully I'm just out of contract with the HTC so I'm waiting in line for an iPhone 4 upgrade from Orange...the sooner the better is all I can say! The iPad is impressive to say the least, if the iPhone is anywhere near as good I'll be over the moon...(roll on the iPad iOS4 update too, scheduled for September)



Location:Hatfields,Camberwell,United Kingdom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk-Thru: Using Wolfpack to automatically deploy and smoke test your system

First, some history... The advent of NuGet has revolutionised many many aspects of the .Net ecosystem; MyGet, Chocolatey & OctopusDeploy to name a few solutions building upon its success bring even more features to the table. I also spotted that NuGet could solve a problem I was having with my OSS System Monitoring software Wolfpack ; essentially this is a core application framework that uses plugins for extension ( Wolfpack Contrib ) but how to unify, standardise and streamline how these plugins are made available? NuGet to the rescue again - I wrapped the NuGet infrastructure (I deem NuGet to be so ubiquitous and stable that is has transcended into the software "infrastrucuture" hall of fame) with a new OSS project called Sidewinder . Sidewinder allows me to wrap all my little extension and plugins in NuGet packages and deploy them directly from the Wolfpack application - it even allows me to issue a new version of Wolfpack and have Wolfpack update itself, sweet huh

Configuration in .Net 2.0

11-Dec-2007 Update I've updated this post to fix the broken images and replaced them with inline text for the example xml and accompanying C# code. This post has been by far the most hit on this blog and along with the comments about the missing images I thought it was time to update it! Whilst recreating the examples below I zipped up the working source code and xml file and loaded this onto my Project Distributor site - please download it to get a full working custom configuration to play with! Just click on the CustomConfigExampleSource link on the right hand side, then the "Source" link to get the zip. We are in the process of converting our codebase to .Net 2.0. We've used Enterprise Library to great effect so decided that we should continue with this in the form of the Jan 2006 release which targets 2.0 and I've got the job of porting our Logging, Data Access etc wrappers to EntLib 2.0. ...And so far so good - the EntLib docs aren't bad and the migrati

Castle/Windsor schema enables Visual Studio intellisense

There has been a lot of noise recently about Inversion of Control (IoC) with .Net recently (stop sniggering at the back java guys!).... I've been using IoC via the Spring.NET framework for over 2 years now - it's a completely different approach to coding and once you get your head around it everything just falls into place and development is a real joy again. As I mention, Spring.NET is my framework of choice but a recent change in employer has seen me bump up against Castle/Windsor . First impressions are that I like it - it's not as powerful or feature rich as Spring but that's not always a bad thing! The one thing I did miss though was Visual Studio intellisense when editing the configurations - Spring has an online schema that can be associated with a Spring configuration. This got me thinking - if the VS intellisense can be hooked into that easily why not create one for Windsor configuration? So I did...you can download it from my new google code site here . Remem